Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs already adjusted for unemployment. But still need to amend. trurbo tax has no option to show payment received

E Filed before unemployment adjustments. Irs already fixed the numbers and sent me a check in Aug.

So I still need to amend because we now qualify for EITC. But when I go to amend in turbo tax it calculates my new total refund amount. Including the money they already sent to me by the irs. Shouldn't turbo tax have a option to input what I already received

So basically "not real numbers"

original tax form we owed $2500 and paid it

irs makes unemployment adjustment new rules. Irs says do nothing.

we receive a check from irs refunding the unemployment $2500

We now qualify for Eitc so we do a amended return

but turbo tax does not know we already got back the unemployment adjustment .

Says we now get back $3500 it should only be $1000

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Irs already adjusted for unemployment. But still need to amend. trurbo tax has no option to show payment received

Until TurboTax does a fix for this, enter your unemployment on the amend excluding the portion that you have already been reimbursed for.  That will give you the correct figures for your amend.

• Thanks but I'm not understanding how do I enter unemployment amount excluding what I was reimbursed?

Let say you received $12,400 in unemployment.  You would exclude $10,200 and change your unemployment amount to $2200.  That will make your amend correct.   You still pay taxes on the amount over $10,400.  

Doing it this way will make TurboTax produce a changed Schedule 1 that is not correct.

You should not attach the incorrect Schedule 1 to your Form 1040-X even though it is in the "new or changed" category.

If other changes also appear on Schedule 1, you will have a problem.

If you plan to e-File your 1040-X, TurboTax will be submitting the incorrect Schedule 1. 

I think e-File 1040-X submits everything again.

@fanfare 

Thank you.  How should the amend be done?

I agree not putting incorrect  numbers.  So should I just hit submit. And assume irs will figure it out.

I'm amazed that TurboTax and irs dont have this worked out. I can't be the only one that needs to claim eitc

Mail it at the Post Office.

Follow the instructions for Form 1040-X from the IRS.

That figures. Don't know why turbo tax doesn't have this fixed. Besides the IRS TurboTax was very clear about waiting to file amended returns. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies