Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS accepted 2023 tax return

I used  the desk top Windows version of Turbo Tax Deluxe to file my 2023 return. IRS accepted my return on 2/20/24.  I was due for a refund. My Status of Refund shows it was received and being processed. As of 4/17/24, the status remains the same. I have not received any written correspondence from IRS. I suspect there likely is an error with my return but I have gone over it several times with a fine tooth comb and I cannot find anything wrong. I have submitted an inquiry to a Tax Advocate but have yet to hear from them. Trying to reach IRS via telephone is next to impossible. Do I have any options at this point?  Thx

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Saying what is happening to your return at the IRS would be speculation. All you can do now is, wait. At least you know that the IRS has your filing. It does not matter who sent your form to them. That is the sole destination for federal tax returns. No one has discovered a way to make any tax agency speed up working on or sending out refunds. No one ever will because they are an overwhelmed, over worked, under funded and under staffed government bureaucracy. Eventually you will get the pay off of your no interest loan to the government. 21 days is just an educated/informed guess which should not be relied on as you well know. Have you thought of paying just enough by estimates or withholding to avoid a penalty and let the government wait for your check?  

As of 5/11/24, my federal tax return form 1040 still shows in the IRS website as "return received." I electronically filed it with Turbo Tax on 2/20/24.  I received an Email from Turbo Tax on 2/20/24 that my return was accepted by IRS.  I was due a large refund, and since I have not received anything, I requested a transcript of my return from IRS, and today, 5/11/24, I received a one page "Record of Account" statement stating that "no record of return was filed." 

When I submitted my return using the Deluxe desk Windows version of Turbo Tax, I did not get the usual "E filed" icon on my computer copy of my Turbo Tax return, and instead. there is a check mark. What does this mean?

Also, should I go ahead and file a paper version of my tax return, or will Turbo Tax let me file it a second time, but I don't want to pay the fee again. Any suggestions?  Surely they can't be this far behind, since I also filed my son and daughter's return the same day and they received a refund within 7 days.

You cannot and should not try to file 2023 again.  You already know that the IRS has your 2023 return---the IRS refund site tells you that they have it.   You cannot e-file again. ( a second e-file would be automatically rejected)  and mailing it would be pointless when they have it.    TurboTax gets no information from the IRS after you file your return, and cannot speed up the IRS for you.   If there is any sort of problem that requires you send more information etc. the IRS will send you a letter.   

If you want to call the IRS you can do that.

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am concerned that there seems to be a discrepancy in that the IRS "Where's my Return" website states the tax return was received, however, their letter (transcript ) received 5/11/24 states "No Record of Return Filed." The latter seems to contradict the former entry.

Until the return has been processed the return transcript will not have anything to report.  Do NOT file again ... it will be either ignored or slow things up further as they try to decide if one of the filings is false. 

Log  into your account at the IRS and review the RECORDS section and click on " View Notices and Letters for correspondence from the IRS" to see if they have sent out any notices you may not have gotten yet.    https://www.irs.gov/your-account 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies