turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TheShiflett
Returning Member

Do I need to submit a form 8889 if IRS is not asking for it in amended return letter?

I received a 12C letter from the IRS, because I didn't file my 1095-A and Form 8962. I amended my return and have those forms; the IRS explicitly requested just the completed 8962 and a copy of the 1095-A, and actually said not to send a 1040X or whole Amended return. However, I also received a 1099-SA in the mail so I put that in the amended return. Do I need to send the form 8889 from this just in case, or since they did not request this, will this cause problems? I did not go over contribution limits, and the distributions were for health care only. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Do I need to submit a form 8889 if IRS is not asking for it in amended return letter?

In response to the 12C letter, do as they say and only return the 1095-A and Form 8962. I can almost guarantee there will be confusion if you send in an amended return that also includes more information.

In regards to the 1099-SA, I would be inclined to keep the record and not amend. If you receive additional notice from the IRS later this year, you could then address the matter. The 1099-SA will not affect any refund processing and can be quickly resolved with a response to a letter should you get an inquiry.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ashby

In response to the 12C letter, do as they say and only return the 1095-A and Form 8962. I can almost guarantee there will be confusion if you send in an amended return that also includes more information.

In regards to the 1099-SA, I would be inclined to keep the record and not amend. If you receive additional notice from the IRS later this year, you could then address the matter. The 1099-SA will not affect any refund processing and can be quickly resolved with a response to a letter should you get an inquiry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies