Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Import previous year's tax returns from TurboTax Desktop to Online?

I filled out my most recent (2022) tax return using TurboTax Online. Once I was done, I noticed that almost all my previous year's tax returns are missing  online. I assume this is because, in previous years, I used to use TurboTax Desktop instead of TurboTax Online.

I have local backups of all my previous tax returns (both as PDF and as TurboTax's proprietary file format (eg. .tax2021)) -- is there any way I can import these local tax return files into TurboTax online, so that I can conveniently see all my TurboTax returns in one place online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Well 2022 online is closed so you can't transfer 2021 into it.  But when 2023 Online opens in Nov or Dec you can transfer from 2022.  But only at the beginning before you start 2023.

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version. You need to have the prior year .tax2022 file on your computer. Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Sorry no.  Desktop and Online versions are separate.  You can only transfer the prior year into the current year, (either way from desktop to online or Online into desktop).  You can and should download the pdf file and .tax2022 from online to your computer.  

For Online.....

Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2022 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done. In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something. You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

Thanks @VolvoGirl. You said:
"You can only transfer the prior year into the current year, (either way from desktop to online or Online into desktop)"

So,  if I understand what you're saying, it sounds like it IS possible to import from Desktop to Online, but only for the prior year's (2021) tax return. If so, can you share the instructions on how to do so?

Well 2022 online is closed so you can't transfer 2021 into it.  But when 2023 Online opens in Nov or Dec you can transfer from 2022.  But only at the beginning before you start 2023.

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version. You need to have the prior year .tax2022 file on your computer. Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

@VolvoGirl Perfect, thank you for your help!

Question.....are you still trying to do 2022?  Or did you use the Online version to prepare or file it?  If you used the online version for 2022 you may need to switch to the desktop program to finish it.  

If you used the Online version to do 2022 then you need different instructions to transfer into 2023 next year.  To use 2023 online you just will log into the same account and it will automatically transfer from your 2022 online return..

....removed....just noticed OP used "Online" software for 2022 already.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies