Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a resident of Nevada and I work for the military in California. I paid California income taxes and how do I receive that tax money back since I'm a nonresident.

I need to get a return on all my California Income taxes since I am a nonresident and pay NV taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL

I am a resident of Nevada and I work for the military in California. I paid California income taxes and how do I receive that tax money back since I'm a nonresident.

Were you active-duty military or GS or contractor?

yes I am a GS federal employee for the military.
ToddL

If you worked in CA as a civilian (GS employee), you are subject to CA income tax on those earnings. The military exclusion only applies to active duty military. 

The Service Member Civil Relief Act states that an active duty member is not considered a resident of a state unless it is his SLR.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300147

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies