turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdjohnso

Our tax return was rejected. Our daughter selected no one can claim me as a dependent in error. She filed an amendment but it is pending. Will our payment be accepted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Our tax return was rejected. Our daughter selected no one can claim me as a dependent in error. She filed an amendment but it is pending. Will our payment be accepted.

If you rightly claim your daughter as a dependent, you cannot e-file and must file by mail as the IRS will take up to 12 weeks to process your daughter's amended return. 

As your return has been rejected, your payment will not be processed. You will need to send a check with your mailed return or pay through the IRS website: www.irs.gov/payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mdjohnso

Thanks for your response.

Just double checking - a payment attached to a rejected e-file return is not accepted and/or processed, correct?  

REJECTED means not ACCEPTED

and ACCEPTED means not REJECTED.

@rcarey92359 If your return was rejected then nothing went to the IRS.  Nothing.  Not your tax return, not your payment information.  Nothing.

Some rejections can be fixed; some cannot.  If you have the kind that cannot be fixed then you have to print sign and mail the return instead.

Some rejected returns can be fixed and re-filed.  Some have “un-fixable” reasons for the rejection and have to be mailed instead.

You received a rejection email that we cannot see.  Please tell us word for word what it says so we know how to help you.  Or even copy and paste the email message.

If you used the IRS non-filer site to get a stimulus check, you will now get a  “duplicate SSN” rejection.  We are seeing people who did not notice or ignored the warning on that site about using it if they would be filing a tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies