Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received 300$ bonus on opening new checking account..bank has not sent any 1099INT or 1099MISC till date.As i As i dont want to wait ,can i add the same in my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I received 300$ bonus on opening new checking account..bank has not sent any 1099INT or 1099MISC till date.As i As i dont want to wait ,can i add the same in my return?

s it ok if i can report  it as 1099INT rather than 1099MISC...as i have received nothing from bank does it matter which form it needs to be reported under?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you have not received a form 1099 from your bank, you can report this income as Other Reportable Income and describe it as Bonus from bank.

In TurboTax, open your return and follow these steps:

• Click on Federal Taxes, then on Wages and Income
  • Under All Income, locate the Less Common Income section
  • Click Show more and click Start next to Miscellaneous Income at the bottom
  • On the next page, click Start next to Other Reportable Income (see attached screenshot).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

is it ok if i can report  it as 1099INT rather than 1099MISC...as i have received nothing from bank does it matter which form it needs to be reported under?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

It is not interest received so do not report it as 1099-INT. The best option is to report this income as Other Reportable Income.
jarize

I have already efiled my return and just realized that I also received a bonus for opening a new checking account last year but I didn't receive any tax form; for this reason I forgot to include this as income. Should I amend my return? Or please advise on what to do. Thanks.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You'll need to amend your tax return to report this bonus. To amend: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565</a>
jarize

Thanks much TuboTaxMinhT. Very helpful!

Santander did not send me any Tax Forms for 2016... I now have a $60 Bonus 1099-INT... This is not Interest... shouldn't this should be a 1099-MISC?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies