turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally put the wrong bank account number on the federal return can i change it in turbotax or will it just be mailed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

I accidentally put the wrong bank account number on the federal return can i change it in turbotax or will it just be mailed?

If you have already e-filed or paper filed

Once your return is e-filed and accepted then no changes can be made to the return, or your refund payment method. If it is rejected, then you can go back in and modify the refund payment method.

If the IRS tries to deposit your refund to the bank account on the return and it is closed, or the account name does not match the return name, it will be pulled back and automatically sent as a paper check to the address on the file as the mailing address on the return.

If the return hasn't already posted to the IRS system, you can ask them to cancel the direct deposit and proceed directly to a paper check. You may call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.

This is a Turbo Tax FAQ with a video that explains this process.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302459

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I put the wrong account number in the last two number are backward so how can this be fic and how long before I receive my check.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It is too late to fix that if you have already e-filed.   Once your return is processed, the IRS will attempt to use the account information you provided.   Since it is the wrong account number, the bank will return the money and then the IRS will issue you the paper check.  

The IRS issues most refunds from e-filed returns in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review.    To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status.   If it's been accepted, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site.  You'll need your Social Security number or ITIN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund to check your status.    @misstinajenk

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies