turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If you get a notice from the IRS CP2000 and file an amended return will they still garnish tax refund?

I have not filed yet and will file a amended return. I want to confirm what to do about my tax filing for 2017. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If you get a notice from the IRS CP2000 and file an amended return will they still garnish tax refund?

If you have a IRS CP2000 for a previous tax year, the IRS is generally not yet at a place where they are enforcing collection of that amount.  They are awaiting your reply with supporting documentation or adjustments.  If the IRS does seize your refund, they will send the excess back when you and they have agreed on what your tax bill really should be.

If you are concerned that the IRS will seize your refund, you can wait to file until this matter is settled.  Be sure to file an extension of time to file, as it will take at least 2-4 months to settle.  

Note: If you agree with them about the changes they have made, you do not need to file a corrected return.  You should also not file an amended return except as documentation for your reply to the CP2000.  Filing an amendment separate from the CP2000 can create issues settling the matter with the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies