Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gregm70

How do I find out if my form 8379 was received by the IRS? It has been 3 weeks past the suggested wait time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

How do I find out if my form 8379 was received by the IRS? It has been 3 weeks past the suggested wait time.

Did you mail it?

If you filed the Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed by the IRS, then processing will take about 8 weeks.

If you file Form 8379 with your original return, it may take 11 weeks to process an electronically-filed return or 14 weeks if you filed a paper return. More details are here https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

If it's been longer than the number of weeks mentioned above, you can call the IRS to check the status of it. You can also call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, 

Hopefully if mailed you used certified mail with return receipt or other tracking service.  Other than that there is no real way to verify that the IRS even received it.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
nanaflint

how to find out about my refund

yes I mailed it in

@2much You have added a very brief comment to an old thread, so we cannot really tell what your issue is.  Are you saying you mailed in an injured spouse form after filing your tax return?  The very backlogged IRS has been piling mailed returns in trailers for months, and they are just beginning to dig through them.  If you mailed anything to the IRS in 2020 it could still be sitting in the pile of unopened mail.  Unless you used a mailing service with tracking to get confirmation that it was received you will not even know for sure that the IRS received it.  All you can do at this time is watch the IRS refund site and see if and when they post anything about your refund.

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do the IRS honor stimulus 8379? There is no information regarding 8379, only 8 weeks , 11 weeks and 14 weeks after then what do you do? Did anyone ever receive stimulus from form 8379? Why isn't there any more information ?

Yes I mailed form 8379 by itself after taxes were processed.

I called the [phone number removed], they want the information from me and my spouse original  processed taxes, they did not give information regarding 8379

The IRS refund site wants your Social Security number, your filing status and the refund amount on line 20 of your Form 1040.  As stated previously, your injured spouse form may still be sitting in a pile of unopened mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Since I have no way of tracking my 8379 should I complete another 8379? hopefully some one can answer me

I sent my 1040 x and 8379 certified they got it june 29th..it was sent june 6th covid caused delay.

still no info. any ideas at this point?

@susanl825 If you have read anything else in this thread you should already be aware that mailed returns and anything else you mailed to the IRS have been delayed for months by the pandemic.

The IRS has just started to work through over 11 million pieces of mail that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site to see when your return makes it to the surface and goes into processing. Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

@susanl825 You say you also mailed an amended return -- it is taking much longer now than the "normal" four months for the IRS to process amended returns.  So you will unfortunately have a very long wait for the IRS to process a 1040X.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies