Including a copy of federal return with state return

It says here

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/ivr/206.shtml

That I am supposed to include my federal return with my 540 when mailing state return.  It does not say if I have to include all supporting documents like schedule A, schedule E, form 8582, etc.  or just the 1040 itself.  Anyone know if you are supposed to mail just the 1040 or do I need to include ALL supporting documents?

If you are filing a Form 540, then you'd only send a copy of your federal return IF it included schedules other than these: schedule A, schedule B, schedule L or schedule M. 

If it does have additional schedules aside from the ones listed above, attach a copy of your federal Form 1040 return and all supporting federal forms and schedules to Form 540. If there are no other schedules included aside from A, B, L, or M; do not send the federal return. 

EXCEPTION: If you did not itemize deductions on your federal tax return but will itemize deductions on your California tax return, complete and attach a copy of the federal Schedule A (Form 1040) to Form 540.