Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I amended my return through TurboTax, but don't mail the amendment, will IRS process my original in 21 days, so that I can get the bulk of my refund sooner?

I made a mistake due to a miscommunication with Fidelis and said that I was without coverage for three months in 2017 but I found a letter from NYSoH saying I was covered for the whole year. If I don't send in my amended return will I get the original in the normal 3 week time frame and then the extra in the estimated 12 weeks after I mail in the amendment or will the IRS be waiting on my mailed in amendment since I already amended through turbotax? I know there's no efile but I don't know if they send a notification or something.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I amended my return through TurboTax, but don't mail the amendment, will IRS process my original in 21 days, so that I can get the bulk of my refund sooner?

If the IRS accepts and approves your originally filed return, you will receive the refund based on the original file. At that point, you can send the amended return for the remaining amount.

If your return is rejected, you can update your return with the new information and re-file, without the need for the amendment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the IRS accepts and approves your originally filed return, you will receive the refund based on the original file. At that point, you can send the amended return for the remaining amount.

If your return is rejected, you can update your return with the new information and re-file, without the need for the amendment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies