Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my taxes were received but I still haven’t gotten my refund and it’s been over 2 months when can I expect to get it?

I also should receive the earned income and child tax credit
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If my taxes were received but I still haven’t gotten my refund and it’s been over 2 months when can I expect to get it?

Just to be clear.  If your taxes are Accepted it is a good thing.  

It means that their were no technical errors like Social Security Numbers that were wrong.  

It also means that TurboTax does not have any control of your  return.

If you are being told that it's still in process, the IRS has not finished checking it out.

The IRS has stated that the typical time to process a tax return is 21 days, but there may be delays for many reasons.

TurboTax can only project the time to get your refund.  The IRS has the real control.

You can check the status of your tax return.  You will need:

• Social Security Number.
  • Tax return year.
  • Hilling Status.
  • Exact refund amount

Please click here to enter your information         Check Your Refund .

If you wish to contact the IRS, you can call toll-free at 800-829-1040 or contact a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office.

Be sure that your return status is Accepted

• It should not show Pending, or Rejected
  • The return will also have to be processed.
  • Therefore there may be a time delay between Accepted and issuing the refund.

Other reasons your refund can be delayed

• If you mailed your return and expect a refund, it could take four weeks or more to process your return.
  • In addition some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:
    • Contains errors or is incomplete
    • Needs further review in general
    • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
    • Was referred to the IRS by the bank due to suspicious activity
    • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
    • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
    • And I'm sure a host of other issues
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there a status called "ACCEPTED"?

My WMR says "RECEIVED" which occured March 4 2023 and also it says "Your tax return is still being processed".

The possible stages shown on my Refund Status are "Return Received", "Refund Approved" and "Refund Sent"

@crash345u wrote:

Is there an official status called "ACCEPTED"?

My WMR says "RECEIVED" which occured March 4 2023 but still not processed.

Received and Accepted mean exactly the same thing.

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, "Accepted", "Rejected" and Pending"  are official statuses for Electronic Return Originators (EROs), but the IRS doesn't use them on Where's my refund?

EROs are the services and people who file your tax returns electronically. TurboTax is an ERO. 

Once your return is Accepted at the ERO level, the IRS uses the following statuses to let you know when you will get your refund:

• Return Received. The IRS has your return
  • Refund Approved. The IRS has finished processing and has approved your refund
  • Refund Sent. The check has been issued, or the deposit scheduled. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok that makes sense.

Mine is frustrating because its been 6 weeks since I efiled and nothing has changed. My Tax Transcript for 2023 shows N/A and the return has not been processed. Its in Tax Hell Purgatory 👹

Its like it's stuck in a queue. I called the IRS and all they could tell me was "there is an unspecified error" and to wait.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies