turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was dumb and forgot to add the last 4 of the full 16 account number how do I get that changed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I was dumb and forgot to add the last 4 of the full 16 account number how do I get that changed?

If you have already filed the return, there is no way to cancel it nor change the bank account number. But you may be able to contact the IRS to stop the direct deposit and request a paper check. The check will be mailed to the address on the return. This can only be done if the return has NOT already posted to the IRS’s system. You can call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Otherwise, if your return happens to get rejected, then you can fix the bank account number on it. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you have already filed the return, there is no way to cancel it nor change the bank account number. But you may be able to contact the IRS to stop the direct deposit and request a paper check. The check will be mailed to the address on the return. This can only be done if the return has NOT already posted to the IRS’s system. You can call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Otherwise, if your return happens to get rejected, then you can fix the bank account number on it. 

Ok so I feel like the faster return would be to wait for rejection and fix the numbers correct? And if so will I get a notification to fix the numbers? Or will it just allow me to after rejection? Sorry for all the extra questions

I'd advise to go ahead and call them to see if they can stop the deposit. If there is no other wrong info on the return, it's possible it will not even get rejected and they will accept it. It's not usual for them to reject a return for just a wrong account number. If they accept it, they will go ahead and forward to bank after processing and in that case, the bank may reject it and send back to IRS.

The IRS will then have to reprocess, cut a check and mail it which will take longer. So I'd say go ahead and call now to see if they can stop it from even being sent to bank, if that is the wrong account number. And that way, they will go ahead and process you a check upfront and mail it.

I forgot to add 4 numbers to my bank checking account but it's been sent to my bank.But my bank says I didn't get nothing

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies