turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nsn2a

If I overestimated the taxes I owe on my extension application and actually ended up with a refund, should I be concerned that this will cause me problems with the IRS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I overestimated the taxes I owe on my extension application and actually ended up with a refund, should I be concerned that this will cause me problems with the IRS.

No, it will not cause you problems with the IRS.  You will receive the refund that shows on your tax return.  If you paid taxes with your extension, make sure you entered the amount on your return, then the program will take what you paid and what you entered in your return and calculate the correct refund.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, it will not cause you problems with the IRS.  You will receive the refund that shows on your tax return.  If you paid taxes with your extension, make sure you entered the amount on your return, then the program will take what you paid and what you entered in your return and calculate the correct refund.

nsn2a

Thank you.  I was concerned about this triggering an audit or something.  I estimated that I owed a lot in taxes but, thanks to the new law, I ended up getting a refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies