Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I only need to file state taxes. How do I go straight to those forms?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@ vixencrider  wrote:  "If I only need to file state taxes. How do I go straight to those forms?"

TurboTax won't let you prepare a state return without preparing a Federal return.  In the TurboTax program, preparing a state return requires a lot of info to flow from the Federal return to the state return.    And a state return can only be efiled if the Federal return is efiled and accepted.   If you don't file a Federal return, you could print and mail the state return, but you'd still have to pay for both.

Does your state by any chance allow state filing on the state tax agency's website?  Some states do.

You should also be able to download your state's paper forms from their website if you want to fill them out manually.

You also appear to be in one of the higher-end products, Self-Employed Edition.   Do you have a Schedule C business?  i.e., do you need to report self-employment income and expenses?

That product will charge you for both a Federal and state return at the Self-Employed Edition rate.

@vixencrider 

ADDENDUM

Also see this FAQ:

FAQ:  Can I prepare and file just my state return using TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/can-i-prepare-and-file-just-my-state-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies