Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i'm filing jointly with my husband, can i do direct deposit into his bank if my name is not on his account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i'm filing jointly with my husband, can i do direct deposit into his bank if my name is not on his account?

The IRS won't have a problem with this but the bank might.  There have been banks that reject deposits of tax refunds when both names are not on the account.  I suggest you check with your bank to get assurance that your refund will be accepted.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

this is my husbands work pay card in his name only is this ok

The IRS won't have a problem with this but the bank might.  There have been banks that reject deposits of tax refunds when both names are not on the account.  I suggest you check with your bank to get assurance that your refund will be accepted.

Refund checks are made out to whoever files the return.  If a married couple files a joint return, the refund check will be payable to both parties.  Because both names would be on the check, both names must be on the bank account. Most banks require all parties named on the check to endorse it before it is cashed or deposited.

With a direct deposit, the bank would be at risk if it cashed a check or deposited one when only one party owns the account. The bank would be liable if you were separated or divorced and most likely wouldn't take the risk.

To avoid that problem, you should designate a bank account that is jointly owned.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies