Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I filed my tax amend and got an email saying that it was accepted by the IRS do I have to mail anything?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If I filed my tax amend and got an email saying that it was accepted by the IRS do I have to mail anything?

Once the e-filed return has been e-filed there is nothing more you need to send.  Unless you had taxes owed on the amended return then you need to pay the taxes owed.

Go to this IRS payment website if you have not paid the taxes owed - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Go to this IRS website for the status of the amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Thank you! Also do I add the amount of what I owe federal and state to figure out how much exactly I owe?

@nadiakirk52795-g wrote:

Thank you! Also do I add the amount of what I owe federal and state to figure out how much exactly I owe?

NO.  You only pay the federal taxes owed as shown on the original federal tax return if not already paid.  If you have paid the taxes owed from the original federal tax return and you have taxes owed on the federal amended return then you should pay those taxes.

The state taxes owed are ONLY paid with the state tax return either with the state tax return or on the state tax website.

Federal and State are totally separate tax authorities and the tax returns are sent to separate addresses and taxes owed are only paid to the respective tax authorities.

Amazing! Sorry ONE more question! This is the first time I owe so I'm a little clueless but on Turbo Tax it says what I owe federal but when I click " explain my taxes" a different number comes up with what I owe. 

@nadiakirk52795-g wrote:

Amazing! Sorry ONE more question! This is the first time I owe so I'm a little clueless but on Turbo Tax it says what I owe federal but when I click " explain my taxes" a different number comes up with what I owe. 

Lets back up a minute...

Did you owe taxes on the original 2022 federal tax return that you filed?  If so, the amount of taxes owed will be on the Federal tax return Form 1040 Line 37.  That is the amount you should have paid before the amended return was even filed.  Did you pay this amount already?

If using the TurboTax online editions you will need to look at the 2022 federal tax return -

To access your current  year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

The federal taxes owed and paid from the original return should be on the amended tax return Form 1040-X on Line 16.

On my original return no I didn't owe anything because I made the mistake of only filing 1 W2. When I received all my W2's I went forward with the amend process which now brings me to owing $. 

@nadiakirk52795-g wrote:

On my original return no I didn't owe anything because I made the mistake of only filing 1 W2. When I received all my W2's I went forward with the amend process which now brings me to owing $. 

Ok... then on the federal amended tax return, Form 1040-X, the amount you owe is on Line 20.  If you are e-filing the amended return then you can pay the amount owed on the IRS payment website using Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Or you can mail the amended tax return and include with the mailed return a check for the amount owed.

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies