hederrodriguez

If I became a green card holder this year, could I amend my past tax returns since I was informed I didn’t get full tax credits due to my immigration status?

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes or PATH Act made several changes to the tax law, including preventing retroactive claims of the EITC and CTC by amending a return or filing an original return for any earlier year in which the individual or anyone listed on the return did not have a SSN valid for employment. You can't claim EITC or CTC unless the Social Security number for you, your spouse (if married filing a joint return) or a qualifying child is issued before the due date of the return including any valid extensions.

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2016/jan/congress-makes-changes-to-popular-tax-credits.html