Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If after filing jointly with my spouse, I fill missing information on my state return, is it possible for Turbo Tax to cause me to fraudulently file twice for my federal?

I started my Turbo Tax return, my spouse and I decided that we should file jointly. She is breadwinner, so the Joint return is based off her income, our Fed Return has already come, but our State Return was accepted in April, but still not issued. I just completed my State Return in my personal account and Turbo tax is offering to file my State and Federal again and offering me a total refund of 15k+, which is obviously more I THINK than our combined state return would be? Just want to try to avoid somehow filing for taxes fraudulently.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If after filing jointly with my spouse, I fill missing information on my state return, is it possible for Turbo Tax to cause me to fraudulently file twice for my federal?

You cannot file again, either federal or state. You already filed both. Check the status of your state refund by going to the following link and then clicking on the name of your state.

How do I track my state refund?

It is not possible for you to e-file again.  Any attempt to file federal or state tax returns using the same SSN will be rejected.   If you filed a joint return with your spouse using her account, you have no need to use your own TT account for anything.  The joint federal and state returns you already filed took care of it.   If you are still waiting for your state refund:

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities,  There is no rule as to which one will come first or how much time there will be between their arrivals.  Some states process returns quickly and some are very slow.

STATE RETURN

Make sure your state return was accepted:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you, we have been checking through our state's tracker, but only received. However, I did reach out to the state office of taxes via their contact email and gave them my concerns and asked for response and next steps. Thank you again.

Thank you, we have checked repeatedly for via our State Tax Office and it only said received on April 3rd. I've reached out via email to them and await a response. Thank you for yours.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies