Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

idverify in irs website for tax refund, received 5071C letter for verification

Hi all, i got a 5071C  letter from IRS department to do a idverify in irs website and the letter has an control number too, i walk through idverify.irs.gov website.  in which to proceed the verification, there is "Get started" button present. i pressed, it ask whether i have my SSN#, i pressed "yes" button then it is asking for credit card/auto loan#/mortgage loan#, i dont have any of the number so it has telephonic number [phone number removed], due to corona virus impact this number is not currently active. 

could anyone please suggest me. how to provide my ID verification to IRS team to get my tax refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You are unable to verify the loan information that the IRS asked about or you have no loan information to confirm?

The IRS Understanding your 5071C Letter states:

"If we can’t verify your identity over the phone or online, we may ask you to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office to verify your identity in person." 

Certainly the coronavirus staff cutbacks are likely complicating you contacting the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes it has been 2 months since my taxes were accepted and all i can do is wait due to this coronavirus .i dont understand how ive sent them everything and they still need more . Maybe a picture id idk 

Im having the same issue 

I'm in the same situation. The IRS isn't doing 'face to face service' and they're phones are down until further notice. I have no idea what to do 

The IRS hotline has been shut down until further notice and they also closed the offices. Is there any other way to verify yourself short of taking out a small loan to get the required number? 

I have an active title loan and it still didn't accept  it thats the only thing i can think and im financing a car an they both have account numbers but for some reason its not accepting those.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately with the IRS temporarily closing phone lines and face to face communication, you will need to wait and keep trying to call. Hopefully they begin answering the phone lines soon. 

I am facing the same issue.. Issue with Phone number identity when doing idverify in IRS site saying we could not verify your phone number.. please let me know is there any mail id of IRS to inform them to call us back to verify the identity as all are closed due to COVID-19.

I received the letter 5071C and I'm having trouble with being able to verify my identity online and over the phone. I need help. They mailed the notice out to me on March 16, 2021. I have 30 days to solve this issue from the date I got the notice. Can you please help me

Follow the link to create an account with the IRS. You might need it for various reasons, and it will help you to verify your identity with the IRS now: Create the IRS account

spraggs75

I never receives a 5071C letter for verification. I was told over the phone by the irs representatives that I need to verify my identity. And my tax return will be electronically filed to me.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you need to verify your identify, you can do so online at Identity Verification Service, but only once you receive a 5071C letter. If you are required to verify your identiy, you will be informed via mail. 

For more information, please see I got a 5071C letter from the IRS.

@spraggs75

Roslyn3

I've called the number on the letter and I've tried to verify online it keeps telling me I'm not valid... I've used every address I've lived at in the past 7 yrs and it still locks me out for 24 hrs. This is crazy and the phone number is just an automation. I don't believe the lines are as busy as they claim it's just something for them to put on the phone because they don't want to accept calls...I'm not buying this we have an abundance of calls...whatever then you'll penalize us for not doing something but we can't reach you. Make it make sense... Terrible customer service!

need to idveritfy who i am for irs website for my tax refund, i received 5071C letter

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies