Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ck36
Level 2

I would like to open my 2020 Return that I filed with Turbotax but can't find a way to access it online. Not enough characters in this box to provide the background.

I have Turbotax desktop but it appears I only have the 2020 pdf file on my laptop. When I go to Turbotax online I am prompted to start a return, so I go to Intuit and can see my returns since 2017 but they are all pdfs.  I want to amend my 2020 return but can't find a way to access a file type that my desktop can open
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I would like to open my 2020 Return that I filed with Turbotax but can't find a way to access it online. Not enough characters in this box to provide the background.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Assuming you filed 2020 using the "Online" software, and now have the 2020 desktop ready to open that 2020 tax file, you need to download the .tax 2020 datafile.  It should be right there in your online account as the last line labelled "Download .tax file" (see picture below).    But, with the Desktop software, you might need to install any states that are in that .tax2020 datafile before you attempt to open it.

PriorYearDocs_1.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies