turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nina-1408

Hi, I just realized that I accidentally claimed American opportunity tax credit 5th time. What can I do and what can I expect from the IRS?

I am doing my taxes 3rd year by myself. I did not know that preparer used the American opportunity tax credit before since my husband was doing taxes. I did not check-my mistake. What can I expect or do to fix this issue? I did not received my nj tax refund and it looks like my tax is being checking closely. Please help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Hi, I just realized that I accidentally claimed American opportunity tax credit 5th time. What can I do and what can I expect from the IRS?

All you can do is wait ... the IRS should catch that mistake and fix it automatically. 

nina-1408

I will be punished by IRS for that?

IRS does not inflict punishment, although it may feel that way.

I would file an amended return; Explanation: too many invocations of the american opportunity tax credit.
nina-1408

ok, so I can still file amended return and claim lifetime learning? I spent a lot on tuition out of my pocket during 2016

Not an expert on the tuition and fees deductions.  See IRS Pub 970.

You have to wait for the original return to be fully processed first before you amend... so again wait and see what they do first.   Someone else posted that the IRS changed the credit to the Lifetime Learning credit for them.
kluso007

Why didn't turbo tax catch the mistake? It happened to me and I had to pay back the $2500.00 credit as well as interest. Not at all happy with turbo tax over this issue!

If you answered in the program that you had NOT taken the AOC 4 times already then you are the only one to blame for the mistake ... the program has no way to know if you are wrong.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies