Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was working on my 2019 tax return and I discovered an error in filing of my 2018 return. The mistake I made was I filed married filing separately and I itemized deductions on one return and the othe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

I was working on my 2019 tax return and I discovered an error in filing of my 2018 return. The mistake I made was I filed married filing separately and I itemized deductions on one return and the othe

If you need to make changes to a prior year return that was already filed and accepted, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does it matter whether I use my tax return or my spouses tax return. I want to refile as MFJ instead of the two returns I did as MFS?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

To file a Married Filing Jointly amended return, it does not matter which one you start with.

I would start with the most complicated return, as all that data will come through. You will need to enter all the data from the other return into TurboTax. 

OK, I decided to amend my return since it was the more complicated then my Spouse's return. I opened my original tax return from 2018 in turbotax and clicked on the amend section filled out everything. The one thing that TurboTax did not do was to add together the refund/payment for both returns and add it on line 18 or 21. In my case it is an overpayment by the IRS so I need to add it to the line 18. In order to do this I had to open forms in TurboTax click on the 1040X and scroll down to smart box "Original 2018 return overpayment smart worksheet". I then added my federal refund and my spouse's federal payment to get the corrected amount on line 18. I just want to confirm that this is correct way to do this since TurboTax did not have any instructions on how to go about doing this when changing from MFS to MFJ. Any comment this would be appreciated?

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

If you both got refunds for 2018 you would add those amounts together. If you got a refund and your spouse had a payment due you would subtract the amount of the payment due from your refund amount to get net refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies