Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made mistake. Being on the F1 status I filed my income tax form 1040EZ instead of 1040NREZ. I also got the refund from both state and federal. How to rectify it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I made mistake. Being on the F1 status I filed my income tax form 1040EZ instead of 1040NREZ. I also got the refund from both state and federal. How to rectify it?

When did you first enter the US?

August 2016
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You would need to amend your 2017 taxes.  As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" (not counting days) for five years starting from the year you first enter the United States. In your situation, you are a nonresident for 2016-2020 and required to file a Form 1040-NR.  If you have already filed with TurboTax, to amend from Form 1040 to 1040NR, please follow the following steps:

As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are recommended to use our affiliated partner, Sprintax  to complete your Form 1040-NR.

1.  Download the Form 1040-X from IRS website ( see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name,                    current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)

2.  Do not enter any other information on page 1.  

3.  Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.

4.  Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.

5.  Complete a new Form 1040-NR by using Sprintax, see link above.

6.  Across the top of the 1040-NR, write “Amended

7.  Attach the new Form 1040NR to the back of Form 1040X

For more information, see:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf  - form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf  - instructions

page 5 under Residents and Nonresidents

cathy3177

I was wondering the address on amended new Form 1040-NR should be the same as the original one, even though I moved out? And I fill in the new address on 1040X in case any communication from IRS?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies