turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkvasan

I was expecting a refund by 04/04 but when I look on the IRS site it says they are still processing my return. What does this mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was expecting a refund by 04/04 but when I look on the IRS site it says they are still processing my return. What does this mean?

TT refund dates are simply estimates.  However, the IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some for 75 days or more), so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

Where is my damn IRS tax refund? New answers emerge as delays frustrate millions (msn.com)

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I have the same experience. My partner used a tax pro and received hers in 2 weeks. Did mine 3/15/21 still nothing.

TT refund dates are simply estimates.  However, the IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some for 75 days or more), so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

Where is my damn IRS tax refund? New answers emerge as delays frustrate millions (msn.com)

I still haven't received my tax refund and I'm filed the end of January can you help 

PamPam2021
Returning Member

Are you guys kidding me first of all I thought it was TurboTax was free free free free first of all second of all how can I pay you something that I don't have I'm still waiting on my federal refund

Am have  Additional payment For something I haven't received yet

What if you never receive your refund?  TT has already provided the service, and cannot wait indefinitely to be paid.

TurboTax is free as long as you go through the IRS free file website and select the TurboTax offer.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

We're proud to offer the IRS Tax Free File Program delivered by TurboTax to hard-working Americans and their families who meet the 2020 IRS eligibility requirements.

The IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax is exclusively available online and has its own dedicated website at freefile.intuit.com. It isn't accessible from the "regular" TurboTax.com website.

Qualifications

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2020 household AGI is $39,000 or less;
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • In 2020, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $72,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dollp9
Returning Member

I still have not received my refund since May 2021. They say Code Tax Topic 152. What does this mean.

@dollp9 wrote:

I still have not received my refund since May 2021. They say Code Tax Topic 152. What does this mean.

Tax Topic 152 - https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

It basically means the IRS has received your tax return and is currently processing the tax return.

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 24, 2021, we had 14.7 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

dollp9
Returning Member

I paid Turbo Tax for them to do my taxes. I filed May 2021. IRS  accepted it. I have been checking with them and said that TAX TOPIC 152. I have not received my refund yet. Shouldn't Turbo Tax look into this?

@dollp9 wrote:

I paid Turbo Tax for them to do my taxes. I filed May 2021. IRS  accepted it. I have been checking with them and said that TAX TOPIC 152. I have not received my refund yet. Shouldn't Turbo Tax look into this?

You did not pay TurboTax to do your taxes.  You paid for the tax preparation software from TurboTax to assist you in completing your self--prepared tax return.  TurboTax is a tax preparation software company.  It is not a paid tax preparer, such as a CPA, EA, Tax Attorney or other paid tax professional.

TurboTax, by law, cannot receive information from the IRS concerning a tax return once the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS,.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies