I wanted to file my 2018 not my 2019
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I wanted to file my 2018 not my 2019

I filled  my 2018 w2 but it show up as 2019
2 Replies
Level 15

I wanted to file my 2018 not my 2019

TurboTax online and e-file for 2018 ended on Oct 15, 2019. 2018 (and earlier tax years) can now only be completed using the CD/download software installed on a Mac or Windows computer. The return must be printed, signed and mailed.

2016-2018 software can be purchased here:

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Level 15

I wanted to file my 2018 not my 2019

Did you file it?  You now have a problem.  You have to file each year separately.  Online is only for 2019.  You have to wait and see if your efile gets accepted.   If they reject it for something you can change it around to be only for 2019


But if they accept it you need to wait some more for it to fully process and you get the first refund.  Then you need to Mail in an Amended 1040X return to change it to be for 2019.


You can check your efile status here   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/


How to amend an Online return


Amended returns can only be MAILED not efiled. 


Then if you still need to do 2018.  To do 2018 you have to buy the Desktop Download program here



Or If you have a simple return You can fill out the blank forms for free.

Here is the IRS 2018 Form 1040


And instructions  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2018.pdf


2018 Tax and EIC Tables https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040tt--2018.pdf


IRS 2018  Schedules 1 thru 6 (only if needed)








Don’t forget your state.  And you will have to print and mail your returns.  So be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings