Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've filed federal and requested an installment plan (form 9465). Can I use the IRS website to manage this?

I've e-filed my federal taxes and requested an installment plan (form 9465), but have not yet mailed in my first payment voucher (form 1040-V).

The IRS recommends that taxpayers able to pay off their owed amount in 120 days or less create an online account with the IRS and apply for an installment plan there.

A few questions:

• Is it too late for me to use the IRS website to manage my monthly payments? Or will my owed amount and installment plan details eventually be posted and managed there?
  • Am I able to adjust my monthly payment date/amount?
  • Does the IRS only bill what I owe (ex. if I owe $3,500 and pay in $1,000 monthly installments, will they bill $1,000 three times then $500 for the final time?)
  • Similar to the previous question, does the IRS automatically add on interest/fees/penalties until all is paid off?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I've filed federal and requested an installment plan (form 9465). Can I use the IRS website to manage this?

No, it is not too late for you to manage you account online with the IRS. You can set up your Installment Agreement at Apply Online for a Payment Plan.

You will be able to see the amount and manage your balance due. There is a setup fee for an Installment Agreement.

It is up to you how much you pay each month until the balance paid off as long as you will have the balance paid off in 72 months.

Yes the IRS does continue to add interest and penalties until the balance is paid off.

If you have any questions you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, it is not too late for you to manage you account online with the IRS. You can set up your Installment Agreement at Apply Online for a Payment Plan.

You will be able to see the amount and manage your balance due. There is a setup fee for an Installment Agreement.

It is up to you how much you pay each month until the balance paid off as long as you will have the balance paid off in 72 months.

Yes the IRS does continue to add interest and penalties until the balance is paid off.

If you have any questions you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies