covalbe

I submitted my return via efile, found an error that reduces the balance due, if I was mailing the payment on the orig can I just send the fixed tax, the 1040X with the $

I am trying to understand the sequence.  The example is this:

1.  I owe $1000 on the original that was efiled

2.  The 1040X reduces the amount due by $200

3.  I have not mailed the check for the original, do I just send $800 or do I send the original balance with a 1040V then submit the amendment for a refund?

Jimesa

The best method is to mail in your payment for what showed originally due with your e-file. When you send in your 1040x and it is processed the IRS will send you a refund for the amount due back to you. The reason is that amendments take weeks to process and if for some reason your amendment gets "lost in the mail" then you will still have an outstanding balance due to the IRS that could begin to accrue interest & penalty.