jclark440

I sent a copy of my 1040 to the IRS by mistake, and I got a 3531 in return, requesting an original signature. What should I do?

The 3531 asks to sign in the "Sign Here" box, but the form I sent has my (photocopied) signature there.

I don't know if I should sign over the photocopied signature, or if I should fill out a new 1040 and sign that. 

The copy I sent already has been stamped by the IRS.

I would print a new copy and sign it  and send it back with the forms they sent as requested. 

tax_novice

I'm in the same situation.

1) Do you sign with the original date or the current date?
2) In this situation, is the return currently in rejected, pending, or accepted status?

Either date is fine and it is pending your response.
tax_novice

Thank you! So does this mean that my return has been reviewed and it is okay since the only thing requested was the original signature? And none of the other boxes are checked? Or is this just preliminary review and a first pass?

This was the first thing they look at ... without a signature they will not even start to process the return since it is not officially a tax return until you sign it.  Once you sign it they will start to process the return.
tax_novice

One more thing. I am planning to amend my return. Should I just include the appropriate forms along with the 3531 and original forms returned or wait until the original one has been received and processed? If the latter, is there a way for me to check that the original forms returned have been processed?

Many thanks!!
DolceDolce

Thank you for answering this question!

I paid my tax liability when I paper mailed my very late return.  In addition, it took the IRS 8 months to process.

I received a CP81 notice that they have my payment and credit on account, but they don't have my return.

Instructions are to send a newly-signed return, but I also wanted to know what date to use.

Obviously, because of the likelihood of penalties continuing to accrue if I used today's current date, I'd like to submit it with the original date ... which I have proof that I sent via USPS. I paid the penalties and interest through that payment date, and even included 2 days extra in the calculation to make sure there was no trailing fees.  I used an online specific penalty and interest calculator that does it to the exact penny and  (at-that time_ interest rates for each week it was delinquent.

buckfeel

i got form 3531 requesting an original signature and a copy of my W-2 - where do I mail this info?