Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emdemoore

I recently received a letter saying that I owe State taxes. How is that possible? When I made payment you turbo tax, state and federal.

please give me a phone number to call
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I recently received a letter saying that I owe State taxes. How is that possible? When I made payment you turbo tax, state and federal.

In the File section of the program on Step 2, when state taxes are owed you are given several options on how to pay the state taxes.  Most states do not allow direct debit from a bank account nor payment of taxes owed using a credit card when using personal tax preparation software.

In the section for payment of state taxes owed you would either have direct debit from your bank account or an Iowa website for making that type of payment.  State taxes owed cannot be paid with a credit card through TurboTax, you need to access the state website, as noted in Step 2.

Look at your State Filing Instructions page for how you selected to pay the state taxes owed.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2023 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

What does the State Filing Instructions indicate?

Your only proof of payment is your bank statement or credit card showing the payment coming out. Turbo Tax only passes your bank account number to the state for the state to take it out of your account. But most states do not let you pay by Direct Debit so you have to mail in a check or go directly to the state's website to pay.

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbo Tax logo. If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay. Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

And double check your bank account and routing number with your bank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies