turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I received a letter from the irs concerning excess social security tax in 2014. How can I see what i entered into TurboTax for the 2014 tax year

It's ironic that on my wife's w2, it shows he social security tax withheld amount of $3221.01.  Somehow, I think turbo tax software had a glitch.  Why would it not notify me of entering something in this field that I have never entered anything in in the past 10 years of using turbo tax?  Why would it not notify me when doing my 2015 tax returns that this needed further review?

I received a letter from the irs concerning excess social security tax in 2014. How can I see what i entered into TurboTax for the 2014 tax year

It is not "ironic" that your wife's Social Security was $3221.  That is the reason.  As was mentioned 26 days ago, when you entered your wife's W-2, you must have accidentally said it belonged to you.

When you did that, TurboTax did the calculations and the $3221 on that W-2 was "excess" because you said it was yours.

TurboTax can not know if you enter something wrong.

I entered my w2 information and then my wife's.  They are totally separate when entering them.  It is clear that a mistake was made, but I find it hard to believe that it was when I entered the information.  I'm not perfect, but I do enter everything very carefully when doing taxes.  Someone previously commented that turbo tax gives a warning page, but it didn't in this case, which leads me to believe that i did not enter it incorrectly.

My issue is that this is what is written on page 3 of my federal returns:  
Your Guarantee of Accuracy:
Breathe easy. The calculations on your return are backed with our
100% Accuracy Guarantee.
- We double checked your return for errors along the way.
- We helped with step-by-step guidance to get your answers on the right
IRS forms.
- We made sure you didn't miss a deduction even if something in your life
changed, like a new job, new house - or more kids!

If this were true, why is the IRS claiming I owe them for an error on my 2014 federal tax returns and Turbo Tax is not standing behind me.

It also states this on page 3 of my returns:
Also included:
- We provide the Audit Support Center free of charge, in the unlikely
event you get audited.

It seems like Turbo Tax is not willing to help with this issue.

Again, there is no way for ANY program to know if you entered the wrong information.

In answer to your question, you would need to download your 2014 tax file, purchase the 2014 CD/downloaded software, and go through the step-by-step questions to see what is entered.

A POSSIBLE alternative is to print out ALL worksheets to see the information, and what you entered for the W-2.

At any rate, it is pretty obvious to all of us that your original return is wrong, and that you will owe the tax.  If you are able to convince TurboTax that the program was faulty, they would pay for any penalties and interest, but you would still owe the tax due.

Critter already provided you with a link for how to contact TurboTax about an audit letter.  VolvoGirl posted a link for hwo to call Customer Support.  This is just a user-to-user forum, and obviously we aren't helping you, so you should contact the audit site and/or Customer Support.

This is 100% a data entry error by you the user ... look at the W-2 worksheets as suggested to see who the W-2's were assigned to ... they must have all been assigned to you  since you got the IRS notice.  And since you failed to read the warning screen similar to the screen shot I posted, then the accuracy guarantee will not cover the error.   And if you still want to discuss the issue then you need to contact TT support directly
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here is a link to instructions for submitting a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901269-how-do-i-submit-a-claim-under-the-turbotax-100-accurate-ca...>
mh22

I am having the same issue as davidjetty.  I just received a letter from the IRS stating I claimed excess security tax withheld for 2014.  I have a very hard time believing I entered W2 information into TT under the wrong name, as I am an extremely diligent and detail-oriented person and highly paranoid about entering tax info correctly.  I believe there was a glitch or error with TT so I am posting here in case others come forward with this same issue.  Thanks.

Review your return with all the worksheets included ... look at the W-2s ... they will have the employee's name on them.

Having the same problem. I agree with David and MH22. I understand what everyone is saying about it being human error and not inputting the correct information in the correct location, but like MH22 i am also very diligent about how the information is placed correctly. I have also never seen that "warning " box that TT is talking about so it makes me believe there is a glitch in the system.

All you can do is review your returns MH22 & michael6305  to see if you did make the mistake.  If by chance this was a program error ( never has been yet ) you can put in for an accuracy guarantee claim ...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302050">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302050</a>

If you want to see the actual screens (and you used the ONLINE program ) then start the amendment process and then look at the W-2 input screens directly.   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5589810">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5589810</a>

Line 44 is the tax on your income before the withholding is subtracted.  It comes from the Tax Table or is a complicated calculation depending on the kind of income you have.

Here is the 2014 Tax Table  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040tt--2014.pdf

How the Tax is calculated:
You add up all your income to get the Adjusted Gross Income on 1040 line 37
Then you get to subtract the Standard Deduction (12,400 for 2014) or your Itemized deductions whichever is more (line 40)
Then you get to subtract all your personal exemptions and dependents (3,950 each for 2014) on line 42
That is your Taxable Income on line 43

The Tax is calculated on your Taxable Income.  But if you have any Long Term Capital Gains or Qualified Dividends the tax is calculated on a special worksheet.

But if you want to call in Contact Customer Service
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies