Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a letter from the irs asking for forms 8962 and 1095-A. I guess I filled to soon. What do I do now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

I received a letter from the irs asking for forms 8962 and 1095-A. I guess I filled to soon. What do I do now?

The IRS usually wants you to send them a copy of your 1095-A, the Form 8962 and the "newly computed"  page two of a form 1040 or 1040A which shows the change(s) to your return. This letter is numbered LTR 12C (see upper right corner.) Be sure to read the details of your letter. For more information, see Understanding Your Letter 0012C.

We'll take you through some of the TurboTax screens so you can answer a few questions and enter information from your 1095-A. When you do, TurboTax will fill out an 8962 and  a "newly computed" page for you to submit to the IRS.

You will get back in to the program by doing the following:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online
  2. Click My TurboTax
  3. Click My Tax Timeline
  4. Scroll down to "SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO"
  5. Click Add a state under your 2016 tax return
  6. Then, once inside your return, click My Account in the top right corner
  7. Next, click Tools
  8. Then, Topic Search
  9. Type 1095-A in the search bar
  10. When 1095-A is highlighted in the list, click Go
  11. Follow the entry screens and double check your entries of 1095-A or enter it now

You will not be completing and sending an additional state to the IRS; you will only print out the requested forms after you have entered your 1095-A information. If you've already entered it, just verify the entry is correct before proceeding.

After entering the appropriate information, then you will need to print the forms to mail. To do so, complete steps 1-4 above, then select Download all forms and worksheets.

If you do not have a copy of your 1095-A:
You may log in to your Healthcare.gov account here. To the left, click to open your messages. If the 1095-A is in your account, you should see You have a Form 1095-A containing tax information. Download. Click to download for each message you see listed for multiple 1095-A's.

If the notice is for 2015 instead , please see  this TurboTax FAQ.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MollsBBU

The IRS usually wants you to send them a copy of your 1095-A, the Form 8962 and the "newly computed"  page two of a form 1040 or 1040A which shows the change(s) to your return. This letter is numbered LTR 12C (see upper right corner.) Be sure to read the details of your letter. For more information, see Understanding Your Letter 0012C.

We'll take you through some of the TurboTax screens so you can answer a few questions and enter information from your 1095-A. When you do, TurboTax will fill out an 8962 and  a "newly computed" page for you to submit to the IRS.

You will get back in to the program by doing the following:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online
  2. Click My TurboTax
  3. Click My Tax Timeline
  4. Scroll down to "SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO"
  5. Click Add a state under your 2016 tax return
  6. Then, once inside your return, click My Account in the top right corner
  7. Next, click Tools
  8. Then, Topic Search
  9. Type 1095-A in the search bar
  10. When 1095-A is highlighted in the list, click Go
  11. Follow the entry screens and double check your entries of 1095-A or enter it now

You will not be completing and sending an additional state to the IRS; you will only print out the requested forms after you have entered your 1095-A information. If you've already entered it, just verify the entry is correct before proceeding.

After entering the appropriate information, then you will need to print the forms to mail. To do so, complete steps 1-4 above, then select Download all forms and worksheets.

If you do not have a copy of your 1095-A:
You may log in to your Healthcare.gov account here. To the left, click to open your messages. If the 1095-A is in your account, you should see You have a Form 1095-A containing tax information. Download. Click to download for each message you see listed for multiple 1095-A's.

If the notice is for 2015 instead , please see  this TurboTax FAQ.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies