edgillman

I received a CP2000 that said NOT to amend my federal return. When I amend my state return, turbotax wants to attach an amended federal return. Will this cause a problem?

If you agree with the change, you do not need to amend your return with the IRS, the IRS will adjust your file for you. 

However, in order to amend your state return to match, using TurboTax, you have to make an amended federal return first, because the information from the federal return flows to the state return. 

Then, you mail the state amended return to your state, but you do not mail the federal return to the IRS. If the laws of your state require that you also mail a copy of your federal amended return to your state, then you need to do that. It won't go to the IRS unless you mail it to the IRS.   But I don't know the rules for your state. I don't know whether TurboTax is printing out the federal return automatically, which you can discard, or TurboTax is printing out the federal return because it is required to mail to the state.  There should also be a page of instructions printing out, read it carefully and see what it says, or check your state tax website for amending instructions. 

edgillman

Thank you for your answer. The state is Virginia, and TurboTax is printing out the federal return to include with the state return. So I will go ahead and include that only with my state return and NOT mail the amended federal return to the IRS. Thanks again!