Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take to receive a paper check in the mail??

The bank rejected my refund. The IRS told me that they received it that same day just to wait (seriously I know that) I hear 5, 8, 10 weeks. Others say within 10 days. On the wmr status has yet to change since the last time I talk to someone. And that was a week ago. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

It depends on how fast it takes them to process the rejected refund to a check. On average taxpayers are reporting this tax season about 8 weeks from when it was rejected until they receive their check. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called the IRS today the person who answered told me that they are now reviewing my refund. When I found out my bank rejected it. The first person told me that nothing was wrong with my refund. Now it's in review so I'd have to wait up to 10 weeks. I'm so frustrated ??
kmmbarron

Someone told me 3 to 10 days. I asked the same question and her bank rejected her refund and she had it in the mail 3 days later.
holein43

I am confused by this also.  I was told since it was rejected it automatically gets reviewed. I was just under a review what more are they looking for? My bank account is in my maiden name and my husband isn’t on it as it’s a prepaid card so they rejected my federal. Crazy considering they deposited my state just fine.  

Mine was rejected and returned on March 9 but didn’t realize it till my DDD of 3/14.  Not sure when the IRS will receive it back.  Just aggravating you hear so many different stories.
kmmbarron

Okay, my DDD was 3/8. My routing number was wrong so they sent it back to the IRS. WMR has finally updated and it is scheduled to be sent out 3/20 and I should receive it before 4/17.
kmmbarron

I will update when I actually have the check in my hand. I’ve heard ten days. But the mail day is ten days from when they received it back from the bank. So I guess 10 days to send it out and then an addition ten days to actually receive it? So happy that I’m not really depending on it for anything. Nonetheless it’s my fault for the wrong routing number.
holein43

Kmmbarron did yours after your bank rejected it change to reference code 1121? I woke up to that this morning.
kmmbarron

No!
kmmbarron

It hasn’t said anything.
holein43

I called the IRS today and they said since my bank rejected it because of a name change that I automatically generated a letter and it could take up to 10 weeks from 3/14 to get our refund.  FML
kmmbarron

I really think they just say that. Here’s my time like. 3/8 supposed to be DD. Sent back to IRS 3/9. WMR updated 3/13 saying it would be sent out by the 20th. I haven’t checked it again but I have heard once it’s sent it takes about 3 days. I will update again as soon as I get it.
kmmbarron

My refund was sent out. Will hopefully get it on the 23.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies