turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I qualify for stimulus check for 2019 & filed independently & received refund but not stimulus check. I did not qualify for 2018 because I was claimed. The person who claimed me in 2018 has not yet filed for 2019. Did I miss out?

Hi,

So I was claimed by my mom in 2018. She has yet to file this year & she already received her stimulus based off 2018 taxes.

I filed independently this year on 4/15, my refund was approved and I received my tax refund- I have not received my stimulus. I’ve looked up the status of the stimulus a few times and keep getting “Payment Status Not Available”. I've seen that most people that have filed in April (like me) have already received their stimulus. 

My question is; since my mom (who claimed me in 2018) has not filed independently for 2019 yet, is this affecting MY ability to be eligible to receive the $1,200 stimulus payment? 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I qualify for stimulus check for 2019 & filed independently & received refund but not stimulus check. I did not qualify for 2018 because I was claimed. The person who claimed me in 2018 has not yet filed for 2019. Did I miss out?

The IRS should be using your 2019 tax return to determine whether or not you are eligible for the stimulus payment. It should not matter that your mother has not filed yet.

It can take the IRS several weeks to post the results of your tax return to the stimulus payment portal, so they just may not have posted it yet. 

If you don't get the payment this year, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return when you file in early 2021. The payment is actually an advance on a 2020 credit.

You can continue to track the status at this portal: Get My Payment

See these Q&As for more info: Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service

Economic Impact Payment Information Center | Internal Revenue Service

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This FAQ site may answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies