Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owed Federal taxes and paid on Turbotax, but now I have received a notice from the IRS saying I still owe. The balance was not paid. What do I do?

How do I prove to the IRS that I have paid federal taxes owed?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I owed Federal taxes and paid on Turbotax, but now I have received a notice from the IRS saying I still owe. The balance was not paid. What do I do?

Your proof that you paid is your own credit card or bank statement, or a cancelled check.  Do you have that?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

From what you wrote, it's not clear whether the tax was actually paid. Do you have a record of an actual payment, such as one of the types of proof that xmasbaby0 listed? If no money came out of your bank account or credit card, and the tax was not actually paid, then pay it now. If the tax was paid, follow the instructions in the IRS notice for how to respond.

What exactly do you mean by "paid on TurboTax"? You cannot actually pay the tax on the TurboTax web site. When you filed your tax return, which option did you choose for how you would pay the tax that you owed: direct debit from your bank account, charge your credit card, or mail a check?

Was the IRS suppose to take it out of your bank account?  Maybe the IRS had trouble taking it out.   Better double check the routing number and account number with your bank.  Some banks use a different routing number for deposits and payments.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies