Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only received about 70% of my tax return. How can i retrieve the other 30%?

My federal tax return was supposed to be over $2100, but i only received about 1600.. i did the filing through turbotax and they were supposed to charge me $129, which is obviously nowhere near the $500 i'm missing. This is my first time filing through turbotax, is this normal?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your tax return is the form you send to the government that shows your income and calculates your tax. The money the government sends back to you is your refund.

See the following FAQ.

Why is my refund direct-deposit or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?

If the IRS reduced or adjusted your refund they will mail you a letter explaining.   If you have the fees deducted from your refund there is also a Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California).  Was the $129 just for federal?   There is a separate fee for state.  

How to review your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

Sorry for the misuse of terms. The link you provided did clear up some confusion. I guess I'll just patiently wait for a letter in the mail. Thank you.

From my understanding, I was only charged 129 for federal and was not charged for state taxes. The state tax was a refund for about 300 that i have yet to receive but i am aware that those deposits come separately.

Then how did you pay for state?  There is a separate charge for state.  If you didn’t pay for state it was not filed.   Did you efile the state?  Maybe you didn't finish filing it.  Was your state return Accepted?  Double check your efile status here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup  

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say for state?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies