Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to correct my 2018 tax return that I have already filed and been accepted by the IRS. How do I do that? Or is it too late?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I need to correct my 2018 tax return that I have already filed and been accepted by the IRS. How do I do that? Or is it too late?

It is indeed too late to just correct that return, unfortunately,  You will now have to file an amended return.  Wait until you're received the refund or your tax paid has been processed, before you do the amendment.  DO not make any changes to your return until you start the amend process.

Amended returns are processed separately, they don't "catch up" to your original and correct it in any way.  It can take the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return and they have to be filed on paper in the mail.  The 1040X that you use is not yet available but here are instructions for when it is:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

It is indeed too late to just correct that return, unfortunately,  You will now have to file an amended return.  Wait until you're received the refund or your tax paid has been processed, before you do the amendment.  DO not make any changes to your return until you start the amend process.

Amended returns are processed separately, they don't "catch up" to your original and correct it in any way.  It can take the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return and they have to be filed on paper in the mail.  The 1040X that you use is not yet available but here are instructions for when it is:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies