Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help on completing my state tax return. I have already filed the federal return to report a gain on the sale of a house, which I was able to fully exclude.

The 2020 federal return was filed on paper.  When I use Turbo Tax to complete a state return to report this gain from a house sale, it reverts back to last year's income/tax information, which doesn't apply this year. Last year I used Turbo Tax for both state and federal. This year I only need help with the state return and the info is totally different than last year's. How can I complete a state return from scratch using Turbo Tax?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need help on completing my state tax return. I have already filed the federal return to report a gain on the sale of a house, which I was able to fully exclude.

You cannot prepare a "stand alone" state return using TurboTax.    The information flows from the federal return to the state return with this software.   If you did not prepare a federal return using TurboTax you cannot prepare a state return.   Try going to your state's tax web site to see if you can use the forms and prepare the state there or on paper.   You will need to use your federal return for information the state requires.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You cannot prepare a "stand alone" state return using TurboTax.    The information flows from the federal return to the state return with this software.   If you did not prepare a federal return using TurboTax you cannot prepare a state return.   Try going to your state's tax web site to see if you can use the forms and prepare the state there or on paper.   You will need to use your federal return for information the state requires.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for your answer.  The tax authority for the state does not furnish e-file service for the type of return I have, since I have a capital gain to report on the sale of a house.  I tried doing it on paper and got mixed up.  I was able to do the federal return with no problem,  however.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies