turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomsponce

I moved from AZ to WA on 1/16/19 but I've been paying AZ tax since late last year. I've paid more than 2,500 to AZ and I'd like to get it back but TT is only saying 707.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I moved from AZ to WA on 1/16/19 but I've been paying AZ tax since late last year. I've paid more than 2,500 to AZ and I'd like to get it back but TT is only saying 707.

Let me help you navigate the AZ. 

1. Log into your return

2. select Pick Up Where I Left Off.  (As a double check, you should see AZ in your personal info section before the federal tab.)

3. select State tab,  choose Arizona  

4. Tell us About Any Additional Filing Information: select  Confirm main form for residency

5. Continue

6. Form selected: Should say Form 140PY - Part Year Resident. If not, select it.

7. Review Federal dependents, if any. Qualifying child or dependent for AZ must be entered manually if you are HOH.

8. Then AZ goes through your income and adjustments.

9. Any Other Subtractions Adjustments? click YES

9. Other Subtraction: enter nonresident earnings and the amount

10. We show you did not have income from Arizona during non-residency. YES

11. continue through the return

You can see the subtraction by going to TaxTools > Tools > View Tax Summary

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Without seeing your return it is difficult to assess the problem; however, here are some common issues.

1. Under [Personal Info] your resident state should be WA.
    1. Did you enter that you lived in AZ until 01/16/2019?
    2. Did you properly answer the question Did you make money in any other state?
  2. When posting to the AZ state return did you post yourself as a [Part Year Resident], and properly allocate the dates, and income.
tomsponce

@JohnB5677 

I entered in all the information as you mentioned below however I get a state refund for $601. I do not donate nor exempt in any way via military, etc. According to my W-2 I paid $2,724.75 to AZ in 2019 but only lived their for 2 weeks before moving to WA (where there is no state income tax). According to Turbo, I'll only get back $601 which doesn't make sense because I'd expect to only pay roughly $80 dollars to AZ for my time there and the rest would return to me because I was no longer a resident. 

Any ideas if Turbo's formulas not working properly? It doesn't ask me about WA (even though I did update in my Info) and all it talks about is AZ. 

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Let me help you navigate the AZ. 

1. Log into your return

2. select Pick Up Where I Left Off.  (As a double check, you should see AZ in your personal info section before the federal tab.)

3. select State tab,  choose Arizona  

4. Tell us About Any Additional Filing Information: select  Confirm main form for residency

5. Continue

6. Form selected: Should say Form 140PY - Part Year Resident. If not, select it.

7. Review Federal dependents, if any. Qualifying child or dependent for AZ must be entered manually if you are HOH.

8. Then AZ goes through your income and adjustments.

9. Any Other Subtractions Adjustments? click YES

9. Other Subtraction: enter nonresident earnings and the amount

10. We show you did not have income from Arizona during non-residency. YES

11. continue through the return

You can see the subtraction by going to TaxTools > Tools > View Tax Summary

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies