Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I missed a education deduction on my filed 2016 taxes. Can I amend my returns to add this deduction?

1 Reply
Level 7

I missed a education deduction on my filed 2016 taxes. Can I amend my returns to add this deduction?

Yes, you will be able to amend your return to add the education deduction.

TurboTax will walk you through the amendment process and I have included a link below that will help you get started.  After you start the amendment, the program will bring you to a landing page where you can make changes to your return.  Form 1098T for education expenses will be one of the first options.

However, you are going to want to wait until you have actually received your first refund before you start the amendment (this is the advice that the IRS gives).  This is because if there are any other issues in your return or forms that come up while the IRS is processing your return, you do not want to have to amend a second time.  It is a cumbersome process.

Amendments will need to be paper filed, so you will have to physically print and mail the amendment.  Amendments take awhile to process (up to 16 weeks) and both of your returns will be processed separately.  And both refunds are processed separately.  Your original refund will be paid now and if you wind up getting more money back from your amendment, then that will come in the form of a paper check later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies