Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I made a mistake on return that I just submitted for efile

1 Reply
Level 1

I made a mistake on return that I just submitted for efile

First, read this helpful FAQ to see if you need to amend. If yes, continue below.

Since you have already filed you will need to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. In the meanwhile, DO NOT go in and make any changes to your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes and re-submit your return.  If the IRS accepts your return, you MUST wait until it has been fully processed and you receive your refund or have paid your balance due. You will need to prepare an amended tax return on a 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return. 3 weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. Instructions can be found here: 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies