turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made a car purchase and i forgot to add It to my taxes and they have already been aproved. What should I do so i can still add that purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

I made a car purchase and i forgot to add It to my taxes and they have already been aproved. What should I do so i can still add that purchase?

It sounds like you're wanting to deduct the sales tax from the vehicle (there is nothing else to deduct on the purchase of a vehicle for an individual). To do so you would need to amend your return (I've included instructions at the bottom of the answer, but be aware that the amend process is not yet available). Note: Adding this to your return will only increase your refund if you itemized your return or if adding the deduction changes you from the standard deduction to itemizing. You will not receive this deduction if you use the standard deduction. 

Here is how to tell if you took the standard deduction or itemized - Look at your return. If it is a 1040EZ or 1040-A, you used the standard deduction. Itemized deductions can only be claimed on the regular 1040 form.    If you filed a 1040, see if a Schedule A for Itemized Deductions is included with your return.  If there is not a Schedule A, you took the Standard Deduction.

Amendment instructions can be found here when they become available for 2017 (early february):   https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies