I'm not sure if the "final numbers" on my amendment are the difference between my original return and the amendment. Or if this is the total, new, number.

If you look at your Form 1040X, the amounts in Column A represent the amounts that you filed on your original return.  The amounts in Column B, represent the changes you made to your return on the amendment.  The amounts in Column C show the amounts as they should have been reported – so yes, they are the new total. 

The total tax that should have been reported for 2016 is shown on Line 11, Column C. 

The total of your taxes withheld plus or minus any amounts due or refunds received will equal the amount on Line 11 Column C.

The amount on your 1040-X is either additional refund (Line 22) or an amount due that has to be paid back to the IRS (Line 20).