traciamason

I'm filing my 2016 tax return late and I will be getting a refund. Can I still use direct deposit for my refund or is there a deadline to be able to use direct deposit?

You will be able to request direct deposit for the refund on your 2016 return.  Your 2016 returns to be printed signed and  mailed.  You cannot use the current online software to prepare it.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2016 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

Only a 2017 return can be prepared online and e-filed. 

If you need to prepare a return for 2014, 2015, or 2016 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

doctorsmile

if using  desktop software why is e-filing for 2016 closed. IRS accepts it..

Nope.  E-filing is closed for 2016.  You have to print it, sign it and mail it. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.