MITCH1226

I just received a letter for an adjusted refund of 10901- which just happens to be the estimated payment I made-- someone they included in tax withheld and again in extra

bottom line-- I made an estimated payment but they included it in Income tax withheld and then again in Sch 5 line 66

Wow ... and you didn't notice that error before you filed ?   This is a data entry error on your end as the program could not have entered it twice by itself ... line 66 would have been entered automatically if you transferred the 2017 info into the 2018 program and you had estimated payments calculated last year.  Did you also make an entry somewhere else ? 

Good news is the IRS corrected the error so you don't need to amend the return  HOWEVER  I suggest you do amend the return so your tax file in the system is correct ( just don't mail it in) ... so this will give the the chance to see where the duplication happened. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

what does the letter say?  does it ask for an amended return? if not, no reason to file. they are making the correction to eliminate the duplicate payment you claimed.  

"they" is you.