Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Billwuch

I just realized that solar panel payments are tax deductible. Can I amend prior years returns to claim this deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I just realized that solar panel payments are tax deductible. Can I amend prior years returns to claim this deduction?

It depends, but probably.  Credits were claimable for qualifying energy saving equipment (solar panels was and still is a big one), so as long as you (and not a tax-free source like insurance) paid for the panels, you likely qualify to claim the Renewable Energy Credit.  The question is for what tax year.  If it would have been claimed in 2014, 2015 or 2016, then, yes, you will want to amend the return because you may still get a refund for that credit.  However, if it is for a year before 2013, then even if you amend the return, the statute of limitations has expired to receive additional refund.

If you can amend, here is an FAQ on instructions how to do so:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but probably.  Credits were claimable for qualifying energy saving equipment (solar panels was and still is a big one), so as long as you (and not a tax-free source like insurance) paid for the panels, you likely qualify to claim the Renewable Energy Credit.  The question is for what tax year.  If it would have been claimed in 2014, 2015 or 2016, then, yes, you will want to amend the return because you may still get a refund for that credit.  However, if it is for a year before 2013, then even if you amend the return, the statute of limitations has expired to receive additional refund.

If you can amend, here is an FAQ on instructions how to do so:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So just to clarify, the "payments" not "deductible", but you qualify for the credit when it was installed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies