turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only amended my federal return, do I need to send the state portion of the documents even though my state return is not amended?

I only changed the federal portion, not the state portion, but it is included in my amended documents, so do I need to send that to the state even though nothing changed or just send the federal portion?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

I only amended my federal return, do I need to send the state portion of the documents even though my state return is not amended?

If the change did not affect your state return, you do not need to file the state amendment.

Please note:  Amended returns must be printed and mailed, and the Form 1040X which is used to amend your tax return is not scheduled to be available from the IRS until February 11, 2016.  While you may have made changes to your tax data, it was not an amendment and was not filed. 

After February 11, the link below will include the 2015 tax year instructions for amending your return.  You will be able to do it by logging into your TurboTax Online account and clicking Amend/Change Your Return from your Tax Timeline

How to Amend a Return You Already Filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

If the change did not affect your state return, you do not need to file the state amendment.

Please note:  Amended returns must be printed and mailed, and the Form 1040X which is used to amend your tax return is not scheduled to be available from the IRS until February 11, 2016.  While you may have made changes to your tax data, it was not an amendment and was not filed. 

After February 11, the link below will include the 2015 tax year instructions for amending your return.  You will be able to do it by logging into your TurboTax Online account and clicking Amend/Change Your Return from your Tax Timeline

How to Amend a Return You Already Filed

TurboTax allowed me to amend it online and sent me instructions on what to send back. I have already sent the federal amendment for what I thought was for this years. What do I do now?
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Was it a 1040X for 2015?  It should be marked "Form Not Final" or something similar.

I just looked at it, and it does say an amendment for 2014, but it has my 2015 tax numbers. Would the IRS accept it because the numbers are correct?
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS will either return it to you, or send a notice asking for clarification,  They can not process it as a 2015 amendment.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies