Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gheisey

I have TT premier. When I printed out my forms, 8849 did not print out. Did this form efile with my other forms?

With TT Premier, Form 8453 has the box checked that I need to mail in Form 8949. Did this form efile, and if so do I still need to mail it in? If I need to mail it, why does only page 2 print out?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
nyinyeb

I have TT premier. When I printed out my forms, 8849 did not print out. Did this form efile with my other forms?

The IRS states: If you e-file your return but choose not to report each transaction on a separate row on the electronic return, you must  mail the form 8949 to the IRS.  You need to mail form 8949 when you choose the summary transaction method.

If only one of the parts applies (that is, you only have short term gains, or you only have long term gains), you only print the part (part 1 or part 2) that applies.

The following is directly from the IRS's 2016 Instructions for Form 8949, (Page 3, Box F): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8949.pdf:

''You don't need to complete and file an entire copy of Form 8949 (Part I and Part II) if you can check a single box to describe all your transactions. In that case, complete and file either Part I or Part II and check the box that describes the transactions. Otherwise, complete a separate Part I or Part II for each category of your transactions''

Page 1 of Form 8949 is for short-term transactions, and page 2 is for long-term transactions. If you have no short-term transactions, then page 1 is inactive. Essentially each page functions as a separate form.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies